Tuesday, November 6, 2012

EBC: Day 0 - Butterflies :)

19th October 2012:

Finally yesterday began my journey to the long awaited Himalayas:) when i boarded the August Kranti to Delhi...I did take a last minute call and keep my favourite sleeping bag at home..and then at night had some strange second thoughts..So much so that Nilendra started shouting at me..for being irresponsible..

Had thought i'll take the subway from Delhi station to the airport, but as luck has it, its shut for some repairs. Had to finally haggle with the infamous Dilli thugs-aka cab wallas. As expected, he did end up under-quoting and overcharging. But that frustration was balmed down by his noble gesture of picking up and unknown old woman and dropping her closer to her destination...People will continue to surprise me!:)

Got off at the Tribhuvan Intl Airport( international eh? felt more like an Indian train station to me!). Saw a Mobile sim shop and purchased a Nepali sim( wise decision , realised later that if i had waited to get into the city for this, I may have had to pay unreasonable amounts just for the simcard) Car was waiting to pick me up to take me to the hotel which means "welcome" in Nepali culture:).. the price wasn't decided- he charged me 750 INR per night( later realised how EXHORBITANT this was - i would've gotten a bed in about 350 NPR..argh!)..Butterflies in stomach, settled down in the double-bed room.

Got an Email from a Swedish guy from http://trekkingpartners.com/ who's planned his trek same dates...called him up and decided to meet up the next day to get the tix , permit etc.....

Got really excited at the Delhi international airport when i spotted this pack of the cutest little Nutella bottles called the week pack( bwaaaaahhhhaaaaa)but then bit back the impulse when my goldfish memory failed me and i remembered that i have to carry trash all the way back down....



20th October:
That was a sleepless night, after the sleepless train journey. The day was spent shuttling between Mountain Hardwear, Salewa and Northface- had to buy thermals, walking stick, boots,gloves and any other knickknacks that catch my fancy:)

Its 2 pm and have bought upper and lower thermals and a nice comfy pant
Durga came at 3 pm.had a nice chat with my trekmate..who's first words after he saw me were- you are TANNED, you won't have much of a problem on the trek.

Agent called round 6 to say that tix not happening-and only option is chopper ride-at 250 and later bargained to 200 USD possible...

7.30 pm-Confirmed now-200 usd to lukla via heli..wuhuuuu..(how many times does one get to do a chopper ride over the mighty Himalayas)

Crazy day was this one - unpredictable day with the tix changing.COntemplated whether to buy a down jacket- to buy an origial or the fake one, or whether to buy a TNF triclimate jacket. Finally, I am not usually agreeable about fakes and I could also get a deal later for a down jacket- for now- I went to rent out a down jacket. After asking around in quite a few shops, i found one shop Yak Mountain that gave jackets on rent...she was asking 80 rupees per day later bargained down to 75 NR..i decided to look further-found another shop-nice guy-he told me 36 bucks and i spoke to him and his cute little kid-apparently he has summitted Mt.Everest 6 times and been on 11 Everest expeditions.


(Nima tenji sherpa and his cute son..11 everest expeditions and
summitted 6 times..runs a shop when he is not Everesting:)

(He provided good guidance- what all i would need he said fake gloves would work fine for 1200 rs(yayyy..whatte steal!) and original walking sticks for 6300 NR..he later gave me discounts-30 bucks a day for the Jacket and 900 for gloves an 5400 for Black Diamonds sticks.)


No comments:

Post a Comment